Job Opening – Senior Reporter (2 openings)
Job Opening Title: Sr. Reporter, (2 Vacancies) – WFSU-TV/The Florida Channel
Job ID: 52735
Posted Date: 2022-08-05
Close Date: Open until filled
Job Family: MEDIA
Department: WFSU Florida Channel
With offices and studio located on the 9th floor of the state Capitol building in Tallahassee, FL, The Florida Channel (TFC) produces programming covering all three branches of state government, and is Florida’s primary source for live, unedited coverage of the Governor and Cabinet, the Legislature, and the Supreme Court. TFC programming is carried by PBS stations throughout Florida as one of their digital sub-channels and delivered statewide by satellite to other program distributors. Live streaming of as many as (14) simultaneous events and archived content are also available online at the floridachannel.org.
In this role, you will cover news events and other programming elements statewide. You will partner with our team of videographers, graphic artists and editors to deliver in-depth reporting for television and on the web.
- Serves as a Senior Reporter for Capitol Update/News Brief, Producer/Reporter for Florida Crossroads and other TFC Programming. Responsible for leading the production of story development for daily and weekly programs, gathering and analyzing information about newsworthy events, and assisting in proofreading content. Duties include but are not limited to being proactive in originating, researching, developing, and following through with ideas; writing clear and concise scripts on deadline; interviewing individuals (for on-air or background use) in a professional, independent manner; performing live shots, set shots, and standups; compiling information for graphics or other visual elements used to creatively and effectively complete a program or program segment. Ability to utilize social media and other news gathering techniques to focus on initial development and ongoing contact with lawmakers, staff, policymakers, and other key sources critical to newsgathering. Required to follow established guidelines and policy while striving to maintain TFC’s integrity and reputation.
- Travel is required and the ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed.
- Adheres to related timelines in order to assure all standards, needs, and deadlines are met.
- Contributes to regularly occurring interstitial program segments and other programming formats. Establishes and maintains professional contacts with key Communications Directors in various agencies and departments. Adheres to and implements generally accepted creative and technical principles of broadcast production.
- Provides production and administrative support, including but not limited to communicating the status of video elements among the production team including producers and editors; running teleprompter for various programs; assisting front desk personnel with timely submission of requested/required information; and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or related area and a minimum of three years reporting in a professional newsroom environment.
- Strong writing and research skills and proven experience writing news scripts on daily deadlines.
- Strong interviewing skills and ability to combine sound & visual elements.
- Ability to accurately process complex issues & create concise stories in a timely manner.
- Excellent news judgement and the ability to think creatively and carry out specific program concepts with limited supervision.
- Attention to detail; effective time-management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team on tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal with fast-changing situations are necessary; often in public.
- Ability to contribute relevant ideas that result in content.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel as needed.
- A valid Florida or Georgia driver’s license or the ability to obtain license upon hire.
Read Full Job Posting and Apply
Internal Applicants External Applicants